Friday, June 29, 2012

Updates 6/29/12- News and Obamacare.

Hello everyone.


I know my updates have been getting later and later throughout the day. Sorry about that. I've been fighting off an illness of some sort, which has been keeping me in bed longer than I'd like. I'm still not sure what kind of illness it is, but I can't afford to visit the doctor until August, when my health insurance picks up again. 

Speaking of health insurance, I've seen quite a few articles in which the CM claims that Occupy hates "Obamacare." I feel it's important to note, once again, that we are made up of a diverse group of people, and we don't all have the same opinions on things. I, for one, support the Affordable Care Act. I am what is considered "uninsurable." I have multiple pre-existing conditions, and I also have a history of complete renal failure. Insurance companies look at me and laugh. The only health insurance I have is supplied by my university, and I pay for it in my fees. Without Obamacare, when I graduate college for good, I wouldn't be able to afford insurance. My premiums would be about the size of a house payment. I know, I've looked. It's ridiculous to think that we have so many uninsured people out there. 

Some people are angry about having to purchase a service they say they wouldn't buy on their own. Well, most people have auto insurance, and people don't scream about that. You can be ticketed if you don't have it. So people buy it! Nearly every person, at some point in their lives, will need health care. Why is it so wrong to prepare for that?

Now personally, I would prefer that the government simply tax us all, and make health care free. Eliminate the insurance company middleman. But for a regressively thinking country like the US, it will be a while before people are okay with that idea. Until then, this is the next best option. Only 2% of Americans will have to purchase insurance without help from the government. Everyone else either already has it, or will be provided with assistance to help get it. If you've actually read the law, crunched all the numbers, and thought about it, you realize that this is actually a step in the right direction. 


So, of course, I have questions for you. What do you think of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare)? Does it go too far? Not far enough? Why do you think so? What good or bad do you think ay come of it? If you disagree with it, what would you do instead?

You can post your replies here, or send them to the email at the bottom. I'd love to see your responses, even if they don't agree with mine. 


On to the news.



-- Occupy DC has returned to McPherson Square, and they say this time they're here to stay. The group abruptly left several days ago, with plans to work out of office space, but now say they are trying a different approach. They've raised tents and hung banners and signs, with one reading "Occupy DC Here to Stay."




--  This Saturday, two Occupy groups in Philly will be holding events in preparation for the National Gathering on the 4th. The protesters have plans to march, camp, and feed the homeless in defiance of Mayor Nutter's ban on doing so in public parks. Tons of other events are planned, and the mayor says extra police will be added until the 4th is over. Occupiers from across the country are heading to Philly for the National Gathering, and many media sites have news teams standing by to catch any action.





-- Sponsors of the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association are pulling out after major backlash hit social media networks, concerning statements made in the Association's bimonthly newsletter. The editor of the newsletter is under fire after he responded to a letter from a member of Occupy Boston by repeatedly insulting Occupiers. Some of the sponsors pulling out their support took to social media as well, in order to voice their concerns. To read the editor's "highly offensive" and "sexist, racist commentary," as well as the responses from groups and sponsors, follow the link. (It's a pretty interesting read.)




-- What does NATO have up its sleeve, and why is it expanding? The Centre for Research on Globalization may have the answer, and they are more than willing to share it with you. Find out what they think the giant organization is working on here:




***Solidarity***

To contact me, please email elvishbutterfly@hotmail.com. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment