Thursday, October 4, 2012

Updates 10/4/12

Hello everyone.


I suppose sometimes things work out. The Graduate Dean, whose office I stormed into earlier this week after being shuttled from department to department and getting tired of it, contacted the Graduate School to actually fight for me, and tell them they were wrong. I did not have to pay tuition for switching classes. That's what a full tuition waiver is for. So I was finally able to switch classes into Linguistics again, and I have been thoroughly enjoying them. I just have to pay fees, which I expected to begin with. But in another shocking turn of events, I received a phone call from the scholarship department. They have owed me $1000 since I was given a scholarship last February, but it never paid in. When you get a scholarship, the money is sent back to your loans, decreasing the amount you borrowed for the semester. In this case, the money was sent to my loans, but never actually paid into my account, leaving my account $1000 negative. I had to pay that to register, so now they owe me money. In a bit of a twist, the people offering the scholarship felt so bad about not paying me for over 6 months that they decided to triple my scholarship amount and pay it to me over 2 semesters. Now I'll just have to fight Bursar to make sure they don't send that back to my loans too, since it is money owed to me. 

Things are slowly getting better, so it would seem.



News!


-- [Chuck] Continuing to speak about colleges, it's no wonder I've had so many issues fighting with my school. This article by Alternet is an eye-opener for anyone attending or putting someone through college. It discusses how our schools are becoming money-grubbers, and how big banks brought them there.




-- [Chuck] Off camera at the Presidential debate last night, there was plenty going on. Check out these two links. The first is provided by Chuck, and is a call to action to protest at the debates. The second is mine, and details not only the protests, but also what the two candidates did off camera as well.





-- [Chuck] A judge ruled on Tuesday that the Indefinite Detention clause of the NDAA will stand, based on the assurances of the government alone. Why is that okay? We would never take anyone else at their word. This article provides insight into the ruling and offers many a reason why we should be angry about this.




-- One of the federal monitors assigned to the Oakland Police Department is criticizing their methods in dealing with Occupy Oakland. The monitor says the reports released by Frazier Group, which offers recommendations to the department, are troubling.




-- Occupy Chevron is growing at a fast rate, as word spreads about the tax issues, fires, and explosions sustained by the company recently. People are taking to the streets to demand reforms and compensation for both the city and its residents. This is a photo story of the protests.




-- [Chuck] Many of us believe that Wall Street had a heavy hand in the issues we face today with the economy. Prosecuting these big business groups has been all but invisible, as it doesn't seem to be happening. But now, a petition is circling asking Eric Schneiderman to either seriously lay charges against Wall Street, or step down in protest. You can read more about it and/or sign it here.




-- Here's a column from an author who doesn't exactly agree with Occupy, but is nonetheless outraged at the treatment they have received at the hands of police. They also discuss the government's swiftly moving laws that take away from the Constitution without consideration or opposition. 




-- The riot police went after striking Walmart workers the other day, and most of us didn't even realize what was going on. Now, in a bit of photojournalism, BuzzFeed offers us an actual view of the people that apparently needed riot police to arrest them. (Take note: many of these employees happen to be elderly, or at least over age 50.)




***Solidarity***

To contact me, email elvishbutterfly@hotmail.com. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment