Sunday, January 15, 2012

Updates 1/15/12

Hello everyone.


This week, I start up classes again, and I'm taking quite the hefty load. Please bear with me, as it may take me a little while to get into a rhythm with posting and making it to classes on time. If I don't make it in the morning, I'll probably post around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Also, I'd like to thank Tom for his letter of encouragement. You all don't know how much it means to me when you take the time to write me. Sometimes this blog is tiring, and I see so many bad things that make me upset. It's letters like Tom's that give me the energy I need to keep writing for you.


Here's the news for today:


-- Occupy Movements around the country are planning events for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's birthday. OWS is having a candlelight vigil, as are many other cities, including Reno, Venice, and Riverside. Protesters are honoring the memory of King's constant battle for peace and equality.


-- Occupy SF had 4 arrests yesterday when a group of protesters from Occupy SF Housing climbed onto the roof of a Wells Fargo building. The Occupiers held up a large banner, and called for a moratorium on all home evictions and foreclosures. Protesters walked down a fire engine ladder, where they were cited and later released.


-- A large group of Christians, many with the group Ekklesia, have said they will resist the eviction of Occupy London from St. Paul's Cathedral, if they attempt to remove the Occupiers. The group says they will surround the protesters with a massive prayer ring. People who are interested in joining the prayer ring have signed an online petition, saying they offer their "solidarity with people of all religions and none who are resisting economic injustice with active nonviolence." Twitter is exploding with the hashtag #Mark1115, Mark's Gospel section in which Jesus drives out those who are selling and buying in the temple, and overturns the tables of the moneychangers. You can read more about this at Ekklesia's web site, here:

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/16075


-- Occupy Oakland had 2 arrests at a peaceful march last night, rallying against police. Roughly 125 protesters marched, in what they are saying will be a weekly anti-police gathering on Saturday nights. One person was arrested for pushing a dumpster into the street to use as a barricade. As he was being detained, another Occupier interfered, leading to their arrest as well.


-- Occupy Seattle marched yesterday night as well, calling for the resignation of the Seattle Police Chief. The Justice Department found that Seattle Police routinely used illegal and excessive force against civilians. The city has promised a complete change.


THIS MAKES ME WANT TO SMACK SOMEONE. HARD.


http://obrag.org/?p=52601&cpage=1


SERIOUSLY.


**EDIT** SuziQ2 and Progressive4u over at Occupystream have asked me to add this in. Please have a look, and do what you can to help out!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HwvJ-f7SJsNEv595AvvnYTrP_J9L9ICuPQ4w8PlvQsE/edit?pli=1


***Solidarity***


To contact me for any reason, email me at elvishbutterfly@hotmail.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment